“Why do I have to go to church? It’s so boring.” “What is worship anyway? I don’t understand the words. The music is strange.” And on and on the less than favorable comments regarding Christian worship could go.
It’s amazing isn’t it? Christians worship all the time and yet seldom understand the reasons why they do the things they do in worship or say the things they say and so end up frustrated and wondering why? Why? Why?
If you were ever curious or are just interested in deepening your understanding and experience of Christian worship then please join Pastor Wismar this Fall as he leads a class entitled Worship: Theology and Practice. The time, location, dates and reading schedule are listed below.
Sign-Up: Please sign-up for the course electronically using the form below.
The class meets Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30 PM in Room 101.
Schedule of Topics Discussed
- Wednesday, October 3—Gathered Guests, Part 1: Dimensions of Worship
- Wednesday, October 10—Gathered Guests, Part 2: The Lutheran Liturgy
- Wednesday, October 17–Gathered Guests, Part 3: Worship, Music, and the Arts
- Wednesday, October 24—Gathered Guests, Part 4: festival and Occasional Worship Services
- Wednesday, October 31—Gathered Guests, Part 5: Prayer and Reading in Worship
- Wednesday, November 7—Gathered Guests, Part 6: Variety in Worship
- Wednesday, November 14–Gathered Guests, Appendices
The textbook for the class is Gathered Guests: A Guide to Worship in the Lutheran Church, 2ndEdition by Dr. Timothy H. Maschke. ISBN# 13: 978-0-7586-1349-3. The book is available for purchase through cph.org. (The cost of the course is free but you will need to order and purchase the book on your own and have part 1 read by October 3.) PLEASE MAKE SURE IT IS THE 2NDEDITION. THE REVISIONS FROM THE FIRST TO THE SECOND WERE SIGNIFICANT!!