Pastor Stefan Wismar, Mayer Lutheran faculty member and director of Christian faith development, will be teaching an Old Testament class for adults beginning April 19. The class will meet for six Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30 PM.
To register, visit http://mayerlutheran.link/oldtec0ea
This course on the theology of the Old Testament will center around the theme of God’s covenant relationship with Israel defined by God throughout the Old Testament as, “I will be your God and you will be my people.” The course will explore this covenant theme through the lenses of salvation history in the Old Testament, leading to its fulfillment in the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth, as well as understanding the geography and theology of the land promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
Please purchase the textbooks listed below and have them with you for class on April 19th. Concordia Publishing House has both but you may be able to find them on Amazon for less.
Beck, John. The Land of Milk and Honey: An Introduction to the Geography of Israel. Concordia Publishing House: St. Louis, MO. 2006. ISBN# 978-0-7586-0056-1.
Roehrs, Walter R. Survey of Covenant History: A Historical Overview of the Old Testament. Concordia Publishing House: St. Louis, MO. 1989. ISBN# 0-570-04260-7.
Dates and Reading Schedule
- Wednesday, April 19—7:00-8:30 PM: Land of Milk and Honey: Introduction, Chapters 1-8
- Wednesday, April 26—7:00-8:30 PM: Land of Milk and Honey: Chapters 9-15
- Wednesday, May 3—7:00-8:30 PM: Survey of Covenant History, Chapters 1-2
- Wednesday, May 10—7:00-8:30 PM: Survey of Covenant History, Chapters 3-7
- Wednesday, May 17—7:00-8:30 PM: Survey of Covenant History, Chapters 8-13
- Wednesday, May 24—7:00-8:30 PM: Survey of Covenant History, Chapters 14-15