Click here to register today!
The Elementary Band Program is offered to participating Lutheran elementary schools in order to:
- Develop musicians who can serve both the school and the church.
- Supplement the music education program offered at the elementary school level.
- Build individual and group confidence and pride for students involved in the program.
- Promote supportive relations between the elementary school and the MLHS Instrumental Music Program.
- Provide a feeder program which will produce a strong base for the MLHS Instrumental Music Program.
- Encourage students with God-given talents to develop and share those talents as they work and rehearse with others of the same ability level.
- Provide concert and performance opportunities for students participating in the program.
RETURNING STUDENTS – Musicians who already play a band instrument
Please fill out the enrollment/registration form (see instructions below).
NEW STUDENTS – Students learning to play a new band instrument
Students who are interested in starting band lessons need to have an instrument in excellent working order, and the appropriate method book. Plan to attend a new student meeting (contact MLHS Office for dates). Students will have a chance to try out various band instruments before making their final selection. Students will also be able to play the instruments before making their final decision.
Students who have never played a band instrument before will need to get an instrument, lesson book, and music stand for at home practice. Instruments can be leased/purchased at eckroth.com. Book and music stand may be ordered from the website as well. Eckroth will deliver the instrument and/or materials to Mr. Alliger who will bring the order to your child’s lesson. If you have an instrument that you would like to have checked out for repairs, you may deliver it to Mr. Alliger at your elementary school and he will deliver it to the repair shop.
Lessons are held once a week in small groups (30 minutes). Students who cannot be placed in a small group will receive individual instruction (20 minutes). Lessons will start the week after Labor Day and run through the end of May.
There will be a minimum of 30 lesson opportunities for musicians during the school year.
It is the responsibility of the students to have their books by their first lesson. Eckroth music supplies the method books for the Mayer Lutheran band program. Those people who rent or purchase instruments through Eckroth will automatically have the proper method book delivered with the instrument.
Visit Mayer Lutheran’s Eckroth website to view the books and accessories needed during lessons.
- Students will have their instrument and supplies at school on lesson days.
- Students will prepare assignments for lessons.
- Students will attend all scheduled performances.
- Parents and instructor will work together to encourage student practice.
- Parents will contact instructor if a student demonstrates a lack of interest or enthusiasm for the instrument at home…this can often be remedied.
Each elementary school determines the fee charged to individuals. Contact your elementary school for fee and payment information.
MLHS ELEMENTARY BAND PROGRAM
- Arranges for a lesson schedule and calendar, with the local elementary school principal.
- Offers group band instruction at MLHS.
- The band instructor will notify the elementary principal of any necessary date or time changes, in advance.
- The band instructor shall provide semester evaluations of student progress to the parents.